Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

 


Here’s a glance at our rich history and a snapshot of our many successes over the last 160 years on behalf of the individuals and communities we are privileged to serve.

 

1853

 

Cincinnati becomes affiliated with the Y movement.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1861

 

Cincinnati delegation helps to organize the U.S. Christian Commission that serves soldiers and sailors during the Civil War.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1865

 

Cincinnati organization formally adopts the Young Men's Christian Association.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1866

 

Educational classes are started - the beginning of the Salmon P. Chase College.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1870

 

The Y is incorporated and major emphasis shifts to "the improvement of the physical condition of young men.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1891

 

First Physical Department opens at Seventh & Walnut Branch.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1911

 

Extension work begins (Youth clubs in schools and churches).
.................................................................................................................................

 

1915

 

University Branch opens.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1917

 

Central Parkway Branch is built and opens, with former President William Howard Taft delivering the address.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1927

 

Northeastern (Norwood) Branch is established as a joint project between the Y and YWCA.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1929

 

Western Hills Branch opens; land for present site of Gamble-Nippert Branch donated, 1939.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1930

 

Eastern Hills Branch (Williams) opens; name changed in 1940.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1941

 

Central Parkway Branch serves as YMCA-USO center during WWII.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1944

 

Walnut Hills Branch (Melrose) opens.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1963

 

First suburban branch, Powel Crosley, Jr. Branch opens.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1966

 

Gamble-Nippert Family Branch is built on present site.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1968

 

Blue Ash Family Branch is built.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1972

 

M.E. Lyons Family Branch opens.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1979

 

YMCA Black Achievers program is established.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1981

 

First off-site child care center, Anderson Place Child Care Center opens.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1987

 

YMCA of Cincinnati and Hamilton County and YMCA of Northern Kentucky merge to create the YMCA of Greater Cincinnati.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1991

 

Clermont County merges with YMCA of Greater Cincinnati.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1993

 

Clippard Branch full facility opens.
.................................................................................................................................

 

1999

 

The YMCA of Greater Cincinnati embarks on a $30M Capital Campaign and Child Development Services Branch is formed.
.................................................................................................................................

 

2004

 

R.C. Durr Branch opens and Community Services Branch is formed.
.................................................................................................................................

 

2006

 

Carl H. Lindner Branch opens.

Community Learning Centers are coordinated under Y management.
.................................................................................................................................

 

2010

 

The Y embarks on The YMCA Camp Ersnt Capital Campaign ($4M).

The Y revitalized its brand and began officially referring to itself by its familiar name - the Y - for the first time.

The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program is launched in Cincinnati
.................................................................................................................................

 

2011

 

Y at Duck Creek opens.
.................................................................................................................................